5 Common Myths about LGBTQ2 Youth in Schools
Download the poster! (834.12 kB / pdf)
Pin it on your staff bulletin board.Download
This infographic aims to provide the straight facts on LGBTQ2 youth by addressing the 5 most common myths and misconceptions that surround sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in schools.
This infographic was inspired by a feature article by Dr. Kristopher Wells that recently appeared in Education Canada Magazine.
The EdCan Network has also released a new Facts on Education fact sheet authored by renowned expert Dr. Kristopher Wells, entitled How can schools support LGBTQ2 students?, which offers evidence-based strategies on how we can make a positive difference for LGBTQ2 students in K-12 schools.
In addition to the downloadable copy of the infographic, which can be posted in staff rooms and classrooms, here are several practical resources available to support teachers in building their knowledge and confidence on this subject matter.
Education Canada Magazine summer 2019 issue
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION RESOURCES
- To learn more about LGBTQ2 terms and definitions, please see EGALE Canada’s Glossary
- Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sports – Creating Inclusive Environments for Trans Participants in Canadian Sport: Guidance for Sport Organizations
- Canadian National Trans Youth Health Survey
- Canadian Teachers’ Federation – Diversity and Human Rights
- Egale Canada
- Gay-Straight Alliances
- Gender Creative Kids
- Journal of LGBT Youth
- PFLAG Canada (for parents, families, and friends)
- Pride Tape
- RISE: Respect, Inclusion, Safety, Equity
- SOGI 123
- Teaching Sexual Health
- National Apology to LGBTQ2 Canadians
- Federal Government of Canada – Free To Be Me
- Alberta – Guidelines for Best Practices: Creating Learning Environments That Respect Diverse Sexual Orientations, Gender Identities, and Gender Expressions
- Manitoba – Supporting Transgender and Gender Diverse Students in Manitoba Schools
- Newfoundland & Labrador – Guidelines for LGBTQ Inclusive Practices
- Nova Scotia – Guidelines for Supporting Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Students
- Quebec – Mesures d’ouverture et de soutienenverslesjeunes trans et lesjeunesnonbinaires
- Saskatchewan – Deepening the Discussion: Gender and Sexual Diversity
iF INTERESTED IN PLACING A BULK ORDER (20 OR MORE) OF THE BILINGUAL INFOGRAPHIC PLEASE CONTACT PUBLICATIONS@EDCAN.CA FOR MORE INFORMATION.
- Non-member rate: $3.75/each plus shipping and taxes.
- Member rate: $2.75/each plus shipping and taxes.