The Electronic Recycling Association (ERA) is a non-profit organization founded in 2004 to address the growing problem of e-waste and the increasing ‘digital divide’. ERA offers simple solutions to help individuals and organizations prevent operational equipment from premature destruction. With a focus on recovery, refurbishment, and reuse, ERA continuously supplies charitable groups with donated IT equipment while securely managing the retiring IT assets of organizations and individuals across Canada.
ERA likes to get the community involved in many ways throughout the year. ERA’s annual scholarship competition gives students the opportunity to gain experience, build their resume, and if they are motivated enough to win this scholarship. Which would be a great help financially with schooling.
The ERA is excited to announce the return of two scholarship opportunities! The competition runs from January 1st, 2023 to September 1st, 2023 giving you plenty of time to see how many donated devices you can collect.
- $1 Million Dollar scholarship – Collect 1 million laptops and smartphones (suitable for donation) Canada-wide, and win.
- $100K Dollar scholarship for 100K approved devices
People can ship their items at no charge to ERA, using ERA’s shipping labels, get the items picked up for free from their homes by FedEx, UPS, Canada Post, or direct from an ERA truck if in the appropriate location. Non-approved items will be accepted, but only with a small fee. Items collected that pay the fees will also be counted towards the scholarship count totals.
Accepted Items for both Scholarships:
- desktop computers
- retro gaming consoles and computers, handheld gaming devices
- corporate computer equipment
- servers, switches, business routers
- scientific equipment
ERA likes to get the community involved in many ways throughout the year. This competition gives students the opportunity to gain experience, build their resume, and if they are motivated enough to win this scholarship, would be a great help financially with schooling.
How to collect items:
- Get individuals and businesses to download the ERA App iOs or Android or website form. Enter scholarship ID [Scholarship+ Your Name] in the Reference Code field of the Shipping label. ERA will collect items from homes and businesses on your behalf at no charge for approved items. Non-approved items will be accepted for a fee, but will still count towards the scholarship totals if the fees are paid. (credit card e-transfer, etc.)
- Organize corporate pickups on behalf of ERA, collecting computers for donations to our list of 500+ charities and nonprofits. ERA will pick up 10 or more computing devices from any company Canada-wide, and offer hard drive destruction for any amount of hard drives contained in the computing devices. 100 devices, 100 hard drives shredded at no charge.
- Organize community events or collection events for computers and electronics
Rules and Guidelines
- The competition is open to students who reside within Canada.
- You may enter the competition on January 1st, 2023, and final results need to be in by September 1st, 2023.
- No purchase is necessary to enter the competition.
- ERA will announce the winners of this scholarship in October 2023 on our social media platforms and website (subject to change).
- ERA will contact the winners of this scholarship. If the winner does not answer within a week they will be disqualified.
- If you win the competition, you will be tagged in all communication related to the scholarship.
- If you enter, ERA will own the rights to all marketing material submitted and can use these marketing materials as they wish. This includes any social media accounts you create for the 2023 ERA scholarship competition. Passwords for these accounts must be turned over to ERA at the end of the competition or you will be disqualified.
To learn more about the scholarship please visit https://www.era.ca/